2011: The year in review

2011 was a pretty good year.

We rang in the new year with a housewarming/NYE party at our house, I made Indian appetizers and burned myself with the hot oil, as usual. In January, I was still working in home hospice and not yet miserable there. Lil’ Ardie was about four months old, scampering around the house, and frolicking with his buddies as often as possible. I reminisced about my 2008 trip to Egypt while watching the riots in Tahrir Sqaure.

In February I had a fun trip to Vancouver with another hospice nurse/friend for a conference. We shopped, ate Japadog, ate at Vij’s, ate Japadog again, knit, and watched many hours of crime dramas on TV. We even made it to some of the conference lectures. Matt and I spent a weekend in Bellingham visiting my folks at the end of the month.

Matt would probably rather forget March, as he had to travel to St. Louis twice in two weeks for work. We got a major bit of landscaping done in the backyard when Matt’s parents helped us build our fence. The photos of homeless dogs in Japan, following the tsunami, left me a bit verklempt.

April started out with some nice weather allowing extra trips to the dog park for the weenies. I spent nearly a week in Bellingham after my mom’s knee replacement, to help out around the house and remind her to take her pain meds on time. Little Ardie gave us a scare when he ended up in the doggy ICU for a couple of days, but with some IV fluids and antiemetics he recovered well. I didn’t stay up till 2am to watch it, but of course I DVR’d the royal wedding to watch in entirety. I loved Pippa’s dress and was aghast at the hatless audacity of Mrs. Cameron.

In May we celebrated Matt’s birthday at Sun Mountain Lodge in the beautiful Methow Valley, I got to go on a private trail ride and we pretended that not having a television in our room was really relaxing. I was really starting to have a hard time with the long hours and poor management at work, so I applied for and was given a position as a float nurse (still with home hospice), a welcome change from the responsibilities and overtime I was putting in as a case manager.

June was a weenie-ful month. Steph and I did the Furry 5K in Seward Park with the weenies, then headed to Ellensburg for Weenies on Parade and found ourselves surrounded by hundreds of dachshunds. Matt flew off to St. Louis again, but maybe the successful re-pipe of the house made up for that? I passed the CHPN exam for working, adding a $1/hr and more credentials to my  job title, but I was miserably counting down the days until I could start my new role as a float nurse.

Although July brought Matt to St. Louis twice, we did get to go to Ashland, OR for the Shakespeare Festival on my birthday. I ostensibly transitioned to ‘float nurse’ with home hospice but was immediately told that my first duty as a float nurse was to be case manager for a team in Renton. Time to look for a new job!

August brought many fun weekend jaunts…to Bellingham, Sun Mountain Lodge, then Whidbey Island with Steph and the weenies. Then I quit my job.

In September I started my new job at the cancer clinic and instantly felt happier and less stressed. I’m pretty sure Matt did too, despite his continued scheduled of twice-monthly trips to St. Louis. We spent a wonderful weekend on the Rivett’s sailboat in the San Juans and little Ardie looked especially jaunty in his float coat.

The highlight of October (and the year!) was our trip to Maui, where Matt finally popped the question and we got engaged. We spent a wonderful week in our condo on the beach and the first-class flights were icing on the cake.

November was uneventful, with weekends full of wedding dress shopping. And I wrapped up the wedding plans with lightning speed!

In December we visited my parents in Bellingham then spent Christmas in Palm Springs with the Rivetts.

…which brings us up to date. My highlight is definitely the trip to Maui and getting engaged, the lowpoint(s) are the probably all related the home hospice job. I can’t wait for 2012, now that I have a job I love, and because I’m getting married this year! And best of all, we’re going to Scotland.




  1. What a great review! Time can seem to go so fast but also slow at times. It’s fun to look back and reflect on all that HAS happened over the last year. Sounds like you had a good one to me – finding a job that makes you happy, lost of time with the weenies and getting engaged! Set the date yet?

  2. Oops…looks like I went to your spam. If you could kindly rescue me and mark me as not spam it will fix the problem. Here is my original comment:

    What a great review! Time can seem to go so fast but also slow at times. It’s fun to look back and reflect on all that HAS happened over the last year. Sounds like you had a good one to me – finding a job that makes you happy, lost of time with the weenies and getting engaged! Set the date yet?

    • Sorry about that…not sure why wordpress did that since you’ve been able to comment in the past. Hope I fixed it! The date is May 24, suddenly seems right around the corner since it’s now “this year!”

      • Thanks. I don’t know either. It happened all of a sudden. It happened to me once before too. For some reason, something I left as a comment somewhere was perceived as spam. Dumb 🙂

        May 24th is totally right around the corner! I am already feeling the squeeze and mine is in August. Ha, ha.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s